Huge Day

on 15 April 2009

Yesterday I hiked 23 miles into the Nantahala Outdoor Center. This is
only the 2nd time I've done over 20 miles in one day. The other was
with my cousin Jon when we did the Northville-Placid trail. Both cases
were motivated by food. I got a huge breakfast this morning here and
am all fueled up for 30 more miles until Fontana Dam village. Coming
down from the mountains was interesting because at the higher
elevations nothing was in bloom but as I got down towards 2000 ft the
forest erupted with wildflowers and budding trees. Elevation and
latitude are similar. At 4000ft here the progression of spring is
about the same as it is in Groton, NY right now but at the lower
elevations here is seems about a month ahead of home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you started you book yet?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. Devoe! You should put some pictures of the wild flowers you see on the blog. They sound interesting. Best of luck!
~Sam R.
P.S.- i hope your knees are okay.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you on the podcast man, sounds like things are going great! Good luck

Johnny

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to read your book

Barb said...

I'm with Sam: I hope your knees are holding out. 23 miles. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Chad-
Sounds like your making good progress on the trail! Down to 1 more day of Spring break and then back in the classroom for the rest of us teachers and getting ready for the state test in Science!! Wishing you continued luck on the hike. Take Care and let Jim and I know if you need something specific, we want to send out a package for you on one of the upcoming stops!

Kevin Douglass

Anonymous said...

Hi!That is a long walk. 30 miles is a long hike but I'm glad you had a good breakfast. You are getting a lot of exersis.It was 65 out side.It sounds like you are haveing fun. I like you pod cast. I agre it is easierto tolk.

from,
macy

Anonymous said...

was this scay? it looks haunted?

Post a Comment