on 10 April 2009

Hi everyone. Today was a low point. I woke up on top of Tray mtn in a
cloud with rain tapping against my tent. I packed up and hiked the
first mile in thunder and lightening. I hiked the 11 miles today with
a pretty bad right knee and shin splints. It was the worst 11 miles
I've ever done. However, I am now in the town of Hiawassee. I just ate
at a buffet and resupplied at the grocery store - granola bars, dried
fruit, rice, instant mashed potatoes, etc. all the things a hiker
needs. I've been hanging out with 2 guys from CT, a guy from Calgary,
and a Korean dude that speaks no English. Everyone is very cool and
instant friendships pop up on the trail. I miss everyone at home
though. Tomorrow I will get my first state line as I cross into North
Carolina. See you then!

Sent from my iPhone

5 comments:

Miss Coffey said...

don't forget to update your miles hiked! (and the date!) PS Your dad's also worried about the tornado watch down there... and now he has me worried too

Anonymous said...

Chad-
Good luck as you enter NC! Homer Junior High is tracking your progress and is wishing you the best along your journey!!

Kevin Douglass

Anonymous said...

Don't underestimate shin splints. Take the downhills slowly, and rest up.

D//

Barb said...

Welcome to the next state! Hope your legs are doing better. Benny and I walked, our usual two miles....nothing like you're doing, and then it was on to dinner--not a buffet, but good anyway. Calgery and Korea? Cooooooooooooool.

jfilzen said...

Chad,
...just got back from Costa Rica. It was an awesome experience for me. I can't wait to share with you many of my expeinces there as I, as are you, was certainly in another part of the world. I am glad to hear that you are well and in good spirits. Me too. I will be back to teachhing in 10 hours or so (...be jealous...). I return there with many new ideas to share with our students with the hopes of somehow helping them. Stay strong!

Post a Comment