on 13 May 2009

So tomorrow night at 6 is Groton's science night in the ms/hs gym and
I'm bummed I can't make it. Make sure someone Tweets some photos! So
in the spirit of science, here is a question for the high schoolers:

While hiking, everyone must treat their drinking water in some way to
remove hazardous bacteria, viruses, and protozoans. I'm oldschool and
choose to filter my water with a hand pump. This removed everything
over 5 microns in diameter. Others use iodine tablets or chlorine
drops because they are lighter than the pump.

So I ran into a guy that does this: he adds 5 drops of chlorox bleach
to a liter of water, waits a couple minutes and then add 5 drops of
hydrogen peroxide. He claims that when combined it reacts and forms
water and salt, thus being healthier than the bleach alone. What do
you think?


Anonymous said...

Since you have a solar panel you should have brought a small UV light to kill the bacteria.
That is my treatment of choice

Miss Coffey said...

are you really pumping out of that dirty little puddle?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday old man!

nicole8 said...

wouldn't the chlorox and peroxide make it taste different? I would think it might.

Anonymous said...

Thats pretty cool that you get your water right from a mud puddle, but a mans got to do what a mans got to


Ryan said...

WOW. sucked the stream dry.

Anonymous said...

hi mr devoe your feet must really hurt. It looks really swallen. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bye!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment