Big Day

on 22 May 2009

Yesterday at 4pm I went ahead of Kevin to make sure we picked up our
next care package in time from the post office from his parents (thank
you). It was a big day. I hiked 32 miles in 24 hrs and managed to see
some pretty cool things. This picture is of the Keffer Oak, the second
largest oak on the AT. The largest being in New York. This White Oak
is estimated to be over 300 years old and is 18 1/2 feet in girth. I
put my pack next to it to give you an idea of how big this thing was.

I also hiked along a major continental divide. Rain falling on the
left of the ridge eventually empties into the Gulf of Mexico and water
falling on the eastern side goes to the Atlantic. Tomorrow we hit
McAfee's knob, a pretty famout landmark. I'll have pictures up as soon
as possible.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Skoob how are you doing on the trip.

Post a Comment