Pre-trip Shakedown

on 23 February 2009

This past weekend I spent in upstate NY's amazingly formidable Adirondack Mountains. I went with a group of friends for a weekend of snowshoeing and fresh air. We climbed Giant mountain which is the 12th highest in NY state. Here are the statistics captured from the MotionX-GPS on my iPhone, the same I'll be using for the AT. Click on this link to display the track in Google Maps. This link will be valid until Mar 3, 2009 5:16 PM PST.

Name: Giant MTN
Date: Feb 20, 2009 7:15 am
Distance: 6.86 miles
Elapsed Time: 6:44:19
Avg Speed: 1.0 mph
Max Speed: 15.1 mph
Min Altitude: 1,463 ft
Max Altitude: 4,542 ft
Start Time: 2009-02-20T12:15:20Z
Start Location:
Latitude: 44.138459º N
Longitude: 73.743667º W
End Time: 2009-02-20T18:59:40Z
End Location:
Latitude: 44.138463º N
Longitude: 73.743627º W

I know, I know...max speed - 15mph?!?! Mr. Wiech brought mini sleds for us all to slide down on. I was a little sore after which means I need to beef up my training for the AT.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job.
keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

get your rest too. carbohydrates and protien are important too.

Jeff said...

Saw your photos from your facebook page and it looks like you had a great time! How many miles are you getting in per week for your training? Let me know if you need any (PT) advice...

Anonymous said...

How is your partner's training going?!? Hopefully he is as motivated as you!

Anonymous said...

I hope your joints hold up. Drink lots of milk or take suplements to keep your bones strong.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Devoe, you are totally my hero, if i have the time when i am older i want to hike the same trail!

Anonymous said...

hello I'm Michael Gregory going to help you go on
your journey sounds fun I'm sort of a nature boy I could probly do that hike. one day with me & my dad we went on a 50 mile hike.

why do you want to go on this hike???
do you like hiking???
what kind of animals do you think your going to see???
are you glad to go on this hike???
has anybody gone on the appilacen mt.???

Chad DeVoe said...

Michael...like you, I LOVE hiking. I like being outdoors and observing nature. I also like exercise and the challenge of doing something like this. I hope to see some bears and moose.

Post a Comment