Introduction

on 06 February 2009

Well it's official! I will be attempting to thru-hike the entire 2,175 mile Appalachian Trail from Springer Mtn in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine and GUESS WHAT?? I'm bringing you all with me...virtually, through the computer. This will be your source for the Groton Appalachian Trail project. I'm packing my bag with important things like a tent, food, and a sleeping bag but I am also bringing my phone and a sweet solar charger so I can communicate with everyone on the trail through this website. If you're interested in what I'm bringing, there is a list to the right.

On April 3rd I am meeting my friend Kevin (and his dog Lucy) in Atlanta, Georgia. You'll all get to know him soon because we'll be spending 24 hours a day together for 5 months. Think about that: that's more time than most married couples spend together. Will we get sick of each other? Can you think of anyone you could spend that much time with? We'll hike together, talk together, cook together, do laundry together, and probably disagree on a lot of things but you know what? We'll have to work together because we both have a goal to reach Maine by the end of August.

Between now and April I'll be talking about all of the preparation that goes into a trip like this; the food, the packing, getting in shape, etc.

Let's go hiking!

8 comments:

Jason said...

That's a pretty sweet endeavor. Sounds fun (except for the bears.) Good luck.

Chad DeVoe said...

Thanks Jason. Bears don't scare me. Hillbillies and lots of cold rain...there's something to fret.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you as well....hope to see you on the trail!

Anonymous said...

Yo what up Mr. DeVoe! This is Emily from Mr.D's class. Are you pumped for the trip? What kind of food do you want for the trip? I personally would not go because I am mudophobic. (I hate the mud.) What made you think of doing this? It must be cool to skip school. I know I would love to skip school. I bet it will be sweet to see animals. Have Fun!!!!

Chad DeVoe said...

I am Emily! I am really pumped...I'll be eating a lot of granola bars and pasta. Peanut butter too probably! Thanks for writing.

Anonymous said...

Yo what up Mr.DeVoe. This is Emily from Mr.D's enrichment. Today we learned that 130.5 pounds of your body weight is JUST water!!!! I also learned that 75% of MY body is water!! Don't forget to blog back. And one more thing do you know Jenna S? If you do I am her sister. Tell her I said Hey.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Devoe.This is Denielle again. We are learning about water. I learned that you have to drink 8 cups of water a day. In your body you have 130.5 water in your body. I have 75 wanter in my body. I hope you have a great time. Drink lots of water. Good luck.
Denielle

Anonymous said...

hi it is Jake again man you cave man i mean brave.If wake up with bugs in my ear i would be running for the high grass.you betta dirnk waterk got to go. ssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Post a Comment